Hong Kong ENT Education
ENT, or otorhinolaryngology, is the branch of medicine that deals with diagnosing and treating affecting the ear, nose, and throat—three organs that are closely connected. As such, ENT doctors often work closely with other medical specialists, such as audiologists and speech therapists, to provide comprehensive care for patients. ENT disorders can range from simple allergies to more serious and complex conditions such as hearing loss and cancer, so it is important that one knows when to seek an ENT specialist for diagnosis and medical treatment.
What does ENT refer to?
- a department in a hospital that deals with diseases affecting the ear, nose, and throat
- a doctor, otorhinolaryngologists, otolaryngologists, head and neck surgeons, or ENT surgeons or physicians who specializes in diseases affecting the ear, nose, and throat
Common reasons to see an ENT Specialist (otorhinolaryngologist)
ENT specialists (or otorhinolaryngologists) in Hong Kong are trained to address a host of conditions that either directly affects the ears, nose, or throat, as well as related areas in the head and neck. Below are some of the most common disorders that ENT doctors deal with:
1) Ears: Swimmer’s ear, Blocked ears, Ear infection, Hearing loss, Dizziness, Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
2) Nose: Epistaxis, Sinusitis, Allergies, Sinus migraines, Nasal obstruction, Nasopharyngeal carcinoma NPC, Nose Surgery
3) Throat: difficulty in Swallowing, Sore throat, Hoarseness, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Infections, Throat tumours, Airway and vocal cord disorders
4) Head and Neck: Cancers of the head and neck, Neck masses, Grave’s disease, Enlarged thyroid glands, Migraine
5) Sleep: Sleep apnea, Sleep-disordered breathing, Nasal and airway obstruction, Snoring, Sleep apnea test
6) Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Cleft palates, Drooping eyelids, Hair loss, Ear deformities, Facial paralysis, Trauma reconstruction, Head and neck cancer reconstruction, Revisions of facial cosmetic surgery
7) Pediatrics: Birth defects of the head and neck, Developmental delays, Ear infection, Tonsils and adenoids infection, Airway problems, Asthma and allergies
How much does it cost to consult an ENT Specialist in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, the cost of a doctor consultation with an ENT specialist can vary depending on a range of factors, such as location, facilities, and the treatment needed. Consultation in the private sector can range from HK$600 to HK$1,600.
For eligible HKID-holders, consulting an ENT specialist at a public hospital costs HK$135 for the first appointment and HK$80 for subsequent appointments. The charge for medication is HK$15 per item. For non-eligible individuals, the price of attending a specialist outpatient clinic is HK$1,190 per attendance.
Beware that waiting times in public hospitals can be very long. Please enquire clinic of choice for specific costs.
ENT Education is a place to learn about health issues affecting the Ear, Nose, and Throat, as well as related head, neck, facial, snoring, and sleep problems. We serve as a resource for individuals to learn more about what ENT problem they may have and whether they need to consult an ENT doctor, otorhinolaryngologists, otolaryngologists, head and neck surgeons, or ENT surgeons or physicians.
The information on this website is for general educational purpose only. Readers should consult their physician before considering treatment, and should not interpret their condition solely based on the information above.