Hong Kong ENT Education - ENT Specialist
ENT is the branch of medicine that deals with diagnosing and treating affecting the ear, nose, and throat—three organs that are closely connected. As such, ENT doctors, or otorhinolaryngologists, often work closely with other medical specialists, such as audiologists and speech therapists, to provide comprehensive care for patients. ENT disorders can range from simple allergies to more serious and complex conditions such as hearing loss and cancer, so it is important that one knows when to seek an ENT specialist for diagnosis and medical treatment.
At ENT Education, we provide free high-quality e-learning resources in Hong Kong to help you understand different health issues related to ears, nose, throat, as well as snoring and sleep. Consult with an ENT doctor, otorhinolaryngologist, or head and neck surgery specialist to diagnose your conditions as early as possible.
What does ENT refer to?
- a department in a hospital that deals with diseases affecting the ear, nose, and throat
- an ENT specialist, such as a doctor, otorhinolaryngologist, otolaryngologists, head and neck surgeon, or physician, who specializes in diseases affecting the ear, nose, and throat
Common Reasons To Visit an ENT Specialist/ Otorhinolaryngologist in Hong Kong
ENT specialists (or otorhinolaryngologists) in Hong Kong are trained to address a host of conditions that either directly affects the ears, nose, or throat, as well as related areas in the head and neck. Below are some of the most common disorders that ENT doctors deal with:
1) Ears: Swimmer’s ear, Blocked ears, Ear infection, Hearing loss, Dizziness, Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
2) Nose: Epistaxis, Sinusitis, Allergies, Sinus migraines, Nasal obstruction, Nasopharyngeal carcinoma NPC, Nose Surgery
3) Throat: difficulty in Swallowing, Sore throat, Hoarseness, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Infections, Throat tumours, Airway and vocal cord disorders
4) Head and Neck: Cancers of the head and neck, Neck masses, Grave’s disease, Enlarged thyroid glands, Migraine
5) Sleep: Sleep apnea, Sleep-disordered breathing, Nasal and airway obstruction, Snoring, Sleep apnea test
6) Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Cleft palates, Drooping eyelids, Hair loss, Ear deformities, Facial paralysis, Trauma reconstruction, Head and neck cancer reconstruction, Revisions of facial cosmetic surgery
7) Pediatrics: Birth defects of the head and neck, Developmental delays, Ear infection, Tonsils and adenoids infection, Airway problems, Asthma and allergies
How Much Does It Cost To Consult an ENT Specialist/ Otorhinolaryngologist in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, the cost of a doctor consultation with an ENT specialist can vary depending on a range of factors, such as location, facilities, and the treatment needed. Consultation in private ear, nose, and throat clinics can range from HK$600 to HK$1,600.
For eligible Hong Kong ID holders, consulting an ENT specialist at a public hospital costs HK$135 for the first appointment and HK$80 for subsequent appointments. The charge for medication is HK$15 per item. For non-eligible individuals, the price of attending a specialist outpatient clinic is HK$1,190 per attendance.
Beware that waiting times in public hospitals can be very long. Please enquire ENT specialist of choice for specific costs.
What Are the Most Common Treatments Offered by ENT Specialists/ Otolaryngologists?
Hospitals and ENT clinics provide a range of clinic services in Hong Kong, from diagnosis and examination to treatment for various ENT conditions. For instance, if you are seeing a hearing specialist, you may receive services that include hearing level checks, assessing the middle ear health, reflex tests, therapy, and more. This helps to improve your hearing conditions while also taking preventive measures to protect your hearing health. Read more to explore the specific treatments for ears, nose, and throat offered by otolaryngologists.
Why Is an ENT Specialist/ Otolaryngologist Important?
The ear, nose, and throat are closely connected. They share complex mechanisms that allow you to breathe, swallow, speak, smell, and maintain good balance. Any dysfunction in either organ can affect the rest and induce ENT disorders, such as nasal obstruction, sore throat, hoarseness, neck masses, snoring, sleep apnea, and more. Without an ENT specialist/ otolaryngologist, the ENT conditions one is experiencing may become severe and dramatically affect the quality of life.
In Hong Kong, general otolaryngologists perform a variety of diagnoses and surgical procedures in the daily treatment of ears, nose, and throat, as well as the head and neck. They do not limit their medical practice to a subspecialty area, unlike some ENT doctors, who provide specialist treatments to either ears, nose, throat, or thyroid. It is important to see an ENT specialist to diagnose your conditions and maintain overall health.
ENT Education is a place to learn about health issues affecting the Ear, Nose, and Throat, as well as related head, neck, facial, snoring, and sleep problems. We serve as a resource for individuals to learn more about what ENT problem they may have and whether they need to consult an ENT doctor, otorhinolaryngologists, otolaryngologists, head and neck surgery specialists, or physicians.
The information on this website is for general educational purpose only. Readers should consult their physician before considering treatment, and should not interpret their condition solely based on the information above.